I was using sql server 2008 first time . I have created my database table in it and loked fine . Aftrer two days I needed to add some columns and change some of the properties in the tables I have already created . As usual I have done the changes and click on save table button…
I get an error message “Saving changes is not permitted. The changes that you have made require the following tables to be dropped and re-created. You have either made changes to a table that can’t be re-created or enabled the option Prevent saving changes that require the table to be re-created”
Possible reasons for this error :
- You change the Allow Nullssetting for a column.
- You reorder columns in the table.
- You change the column data type.
- You add a new column
(Refernce from MSDN)
After analyzing I have found a fix for it :
- Open SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).
- On the Tools menu, click Options.
- In the navigation pane of the Options window, click Designers.
- Select or clear the Prevent saving changes that require the table re-creation check box, and then click OK.
Note : In general you should keep this checkbox checked . Alter changes via script.